Nothing secures success in fasting like a proper plan.
Receiving God's best blessing from a fast requires solid commitment. Arranging special time each day with God is crucial in attaining intimate communion with the Father. You must devote yourself to seeking God, even during those times you feel weak, vulnerable, or irritable. Read His Word and pray. Don't allow your 'public life' to pull you away from success in your fasting.
Consider your schedule.
Know your schedule. What meeting, appointments, family functions, etc., do you have coming up? For maximum spiritual benefit, set aside ample time to be alone with God. The more time you spend with Him, the more meaningful your fast will be.
- Begin your day in praise and worship.
- Read and meditate on God's word.
- Pray for inner strength, conviction and growth.
- Read a book or dedicate time to memorize scripture.
- Take a short prayer walk.
- Listen to a sermon or teaching.
- Finish your night in worship.
During a Daniel Fast, we will often buy all the ingredients to prepare the food, but we forget to prepare spiritually. In the same way you reorder your fridge, you must reorder your spirit.
- Declare your dependence on God.
- Ask for forgiveness.
- Refocus on the eternal.
- Believe God to answer some specific needs. Write them out and pray daily over them.
- Commit to the Lord in prayer.
Write out your plan. This will keep you from renegotiating when you 'don't feel like it.' We all become excellent bargainers when we are in the middle of a fast. Don't let yourself off the hook; rather, press through into what God wants you to experience.